Fattoria San Giusto a Rentennano
San Giusto a Rentennano, a name of Etruscan origin, overlooks the upper course of the Arbia river in the farthest south Chianti Classico wine zone. The estate began life as medieval monastery of Cistercian nuns and was called San Giusto alle Monache ("of the Nuns"). In 1204 it was fortified by the Florentines, after a treaty established it as their boundry with Siena. Only portions of the ancient fortification still stand, its crenellated battlements, massive barbican wall and underground vaults, use today as the ageing cellars for our wine. SGR has been owned by Martini di Cigala since 1904.